The Easter season always reminds me of my years as Children’s Ministry Director. With all the hype about Easter eggs and bunny rabbits around, children can become confused about the real meaning of the season.
I loved explaining the true significance of this most holy Christian holiday in terms the children understood.
One lesson involved As we prepared, baked, and shared the rolls, I’d remind the kiddos that this is not magic. The dough bakes as it’s supposed to. The marshmallow melts as it’s supposed to do. And the sweet syrupy filling left behind reminds us of God’s grace, free to all.
When teaching the lesson, I also pointed out the other symbolism:
- Marshmallow – the body of Jesus
- Butter – oils used in burial
- Cinnamon and sugar – the spices used to perfume the body
- Dough – the tomb
- Baked roll with empty center – representing the empty tomb following the resurrection
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to try it with youngsters, or the young-at-heart, around your house.
- 1 package refrigerated crescent rolls, preferably Pillsbury
- 8 large marshmallows
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together ahead of time.
- Melt butter in microwave ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 375. (Turn oven on just before beginning to assemble rolls.)
- Separate crescent rolls and lay individual triangle on workspace.
- Dip marshmallow in butter and roll to thoroughly coat.
- Roll buttered marshmallow in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place marshmallow on narrow tip of crescent dough and roll toward the large end.
- Pinch dough together firmly at edges and any thin spots.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
This is a variation of the Child Evangelism Fellowship’s Wordless Book.
Without words, this book tells the story about God and the best gift of all.
I love Easter candy…jellybeans, Hersey candy-coated chocolate eggs, especially those marshmallow Peeps.
I love the cuddly bunnies, but I think it’s very important that we remember the true reason for this season.